Robben Island Escape:
Dreamed of swimming from Robben Island to the mainland?
Join us for a comprehensive training program to prepare for this challenge and join an elite group of open water swimmers that have achieved this goal.
Big Bay Events shares their experience gained from supporting more than 320 swims to help you achieve this dream by December 2017.
Training program starts September 2017 and incorporates the following elements:
- Fitness program – you should be capable of swimming 1 mile to join the program
- Cold water acclimatization
- Stroke correction – if required
- Open water swim training
- 8km open water swim in Langebaan at 15 – 17 degrees
Planning, logistics and boat support for your Robben Island swim.
Langebaan Swim Camps
Join our group of between 8 and 12 swimmers with individual or group goals for an intensive swim camp in Langebaan Lagoon.
Preferred accommodation is on a houseboat moored at Kraalbaai where we utilized the sheltered waters for the following training:
- Open water acclimatization for novice swimmers
- Night swimming – overcome the fear
- Extended marathon training swims – 6, 8 & 10 hour swims
Support boats, SUPs and individual lifeguards are supplied to personalize your support and safety requirements.
English Channel Preparation
Derrick and Debbie have a wealth of experience assisting swimmers to prepare for the ultimate open water swimming challenge. A successful channel crossing consists of the following 4 primary elements:
- Weather conditions – Important to understand advantages and disadvantages of selecting your preferred booking date.
- Swimming fitness – 100% responsibility of the swimmer
- Preparation – We can assist with training swims to ensure you experience conditions similar to expected channel conditions
- Planning and logistics – We can assist with securing your skipper, accommodation and swim support for the crossing.
Swimming the Channel has become an extremely expensive adventure and we highly recommend that you cover as many bases as possible to ensure that you give yourself the best possible opportunity to succeed.